Hi. We’re Mortar, a San Francisco advertising and branding agency dedicated to transforming eye-opening insights into head-tilting ideas. We don’t just think outside the box; we throw the box out the window. In this internship, you’ll do a lot more than make coffee—you’ll make designs and layouts for real projects, client-facing and internal. You’ll support our creative team daily. You’ll collaborate with our account management and new business teams. You’ll sit in on meetings, see how an agency works, and learn the process of producing a campaign, from strategy to concept to execution. You’ll even get to give back to the community by working with the Mortar Foundation, our nonprofit arm that empowers underprivileged youth through better education, health, and safety.
Our current client roster runs the gamut from museums, to universities, to robot vacuum cleaners, and no two projects are alike—whether we’re shooting video, dreaming up outdoor ads, or designing a logo for a new startup. This is a full-time, paid opportunity that runs from June through August.
Your tasks will vary depending on what our clients and internal teams need, but will likely include the following:
- Create original layouts and artwork for print and digital media
- Execute on creative direction from senior designers
- Conduct image searches
- Crop, resize, and retouch images
- Create design mockups for presentations
- Set up documents, and prepare files for production
- Participate in meetings/brainstorms
- Communicate with vendors
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, advertising, or related field (must have graduated by May 2015)
- Portfolio that demonstrates graphic design and ad concepting skills
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
- Familiar with user interface design
- Strong critical thinker and problem solver
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written
- Positive attitude—we don’t believe in egos here
- Experience with HTML, Flash, 3D software, or AfterEffects is a plus
- If you can illustrate, that’s a bonus, too
In addition to sending us your baller résumé and personalized cover letter, we want to see you get creative. At Mortar, we have a few intrinsic brand values that guide everything we do (listed below). Your task is to pick one and show us what it means to you.
Collaboration: We take it to the extreme, inside Mortar and with clients and friends.
Honesty: We keep it real, every step of the way.
Ideas: We believe they can come from anyone and anywhere (we mean it).
Momentum: We move forward together to keep the ideas going and flowing.
People: We enjoy all of it with—and as—happy and passionate people.
San Francisco: Is at our center. It’s different here, and we embrace it.
There are only two rules for this assignment: Be original, and be yourself. Execution style is totally open—but please keep videos under 2 minutes, essays under 500 words, or do something completely different. (Just know that we have the attention span of a monkey.)
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and creative submission to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19, 2015 at midnight PST. And write “Design Intern” in your email subject line. Future Mortarons, we can’t wait to meet you!