November 27th, 2016
We’re Mortar, a San Francisco advertising and branding agency whose mission is to gut punch you in the A-ha. We’re on the prowl for a Brand Strategist with around 5-8 years of experience and a knack for uncovering hidden insights and elucidating big ideas across a wide range of categories (tech, experiences, education and healthcare).
- Develop strong strategic recommendations (business, marketing, brand, creative).
- Understand, define and communicate what really matters to audiences.
- Write messaging decks and narrative frameworks. Develop audience-specific messaging.
- Run idea-igniting workshops, brainstorms and briefing sessions.
- Write inspiring creative briefs with gut-punching A-ha moments and clarifying strategic decisions.
Required skills and experience:
- 5+ years of hands-on brand strategy/account planning experience. MBA ideal.
- Experience leading qualitative research of all kinds, from stakeholder interviews to engagement sessions (focus groups, workshops, brainstorms).
- Familiarity with persona design and customer journey mapping.
- Comfortable jumping in on the strategic side of projects from start to finish. And often somewhere in the middle..
- Experience with quantitative research or design thinking a plus.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. In your cover letter, tell us what makes your strategic mind run and heart tick. We’d also love to see a link to some strategy decks or briefs you created or creative work you inspired or had a hand in.
August 17th, 2016
We’re looking for an account supervisor with 4-5 years of advertising agency experience to manage the crap out of a wide variety of clients and projects. Working on your own with mid-sized accounts and as part of a larger account team on bigger ones, we’ll be counting on you to develop scopes of work (including timelines and pricing) and then wrangle agency resources across our media, planning, and creative teams to deliver what you promised – on time and on budget, natch. We’re looking for someone who wants to partner directly with clients and learn their business as if it were your own.
Stuff You’ll Do All Day (Besides Stalking Thomson’s Gazelles):
- Manage client relationships and projects from start to finish.
- Maintain and manage clients’ expectations, budgets, and timelines. (Clients don’t always know what they want. It’s your job to help them figure it out.)
- Clearly communicate the clients’ needs and expectations to the creative, planning, and media teams.
- Defend the agency’s work with a brand of passion that could make Oprah shudder in her sleep.
- Keep your manager involved and informed on all the important day-to-day aspects of each account.
- Accurately scope for and manage resource utilization.
- Write project briefs, proposals, and presentations.
- Exemplify outstanding customer service, while also following company processes for project workflow.
Realize that these two things cannot always coexist without some negotiation. Your job is making the client happy, while also keeping your internal teams successful and sane (because in the end, that’ll make your clients happy).
- At least 4-5 years of direct experience working in an ad agency.
- Strong (and we mean strong like Žydrūnas Savickas) project management skills across on and offline deliverables.
- Experience with digital marketing, website design, and social media projects.
- Excellent communication skills: writing, presenting, conversing, networking.
- Ability to juggle projects and multitask like whoa.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Strong customer service skills.
- A sense of humah.
- Mac-friendliness is a plus.
- Experience with healthcare/life sciences and B2B technology is a plus-plus.
So to sum up – you’re fast, you’re smart, you’re a nice person, and most of all, you don’t need to be told stuff. You figure out what needs doing and you do it. In return, we’ll give you intensive experience in every aspect of this business we call integrated-branding-and-communications, plus a paycheck. There will also be cocktails.
Account Executive positions are also available.
To be considered, send your resume and a little bit about yourself to: firstname.lastname@example.org
September 1st, 2015
We’re Mortar, a San Francisco advertising and branding agency dedicated to shaping smarter conversations between people and brands. And we say there’s no way in hell the pen is mightier than the sword. Could a ballpoint Bic chisel a block of ice into a life-sized replica of Michael Keaton’s face? Such a staggering feat isn’t unlike what you’ll be doing here. As senior copywriter, you can sculpt, mold, and whittle words until they glisten like Cartier diamonds. And your creative ideas are razor-sharp enough to cut through those inescapable piles of clutter labeled “been there done that,” “expected,” and “tried and true.” If your mind resembles a machete, come join Mortar in unearthing provocative, head-tilting ideas and putting obsolete adages out to pasture. (Who uses pens in the digital age, anyway?)
- Concept campaigns across all media: print, digital, outdoor, broadcast, experiential, radio, and B2B
- Write and edit compelling copy in all forms, from a detailed, long-form brochure to an eye-catching headline or tagline
- Work with art directors and/or designers to brainstorm ideas and execute a polished product
- Develop ideas that are out-of-the-box as well as strategically sound
- Follow creative briefs, and take direction from creative directors
- Prioritize workload, and deliver exceptional creative on time
- Collaborate regularly with account managers, strategists, and new business teams—we’re no fans of department walls here
- Create captivating presentation decks
- Present and defend work in front of clients, in person and by phone
- Proofread work for grammatical clarity and brand consistency
- Begin to take an interest in nurturing junior talent
Required skills and experience:
- Portfolio that demonstrates original creative thinking and exceptional writing in a wide range of media
- 5+ years of copywriting experience in an ad agency
- Proven ability to understand complex information and translate it into effective copy
- Ability to juggle multiple projects—and maybe a sword on occasion
- Willing to collaborate with others, and take constructive criticism
- Excellent verbal communication (written communication is a given)
- Versed in speaking to both consumer and business audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a positive attitude—no egos, please
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and Keynote; you should be Mac-friendly
To apply for this position, please send your portfolio and resume to email@example.com.
August 27th, 2015
Hi. We’re Mortar, a San Francisco advertising and branding agency.
We’re on the hunt for an Associate Creative Director with a passion for transforming eye-opening insights into awe-inspiring concepts and messaging (we’re not kidding, one pun and you’re done).
We do things differently at Mortar. For one, we are dead against the Big Reveal: instead we believe in the cleansing power of full, energetic collaboration with our clients. We believe in sharing ideas early and often, which means we frequently call clients right after coming up with a cool idea just to, you know, see what they think.
And we really do believe good ideas can come from anyone (although it’ll still be your job to decide if they are good enough to be great).
Look, if this scares you, stop right here.
We know who we want, and we know we need to search high and low for the right person.
To thrive at Mortar you will need to share a belief in brainstorming and whiteboarding (you have never seen whiteboarding this intensive); curating giant hairy ideas; the wonder of rapid-fire momentum and prototyping; and an unyielding necessity for utter honesty and plenty of cocktails. (You can’t say that – HR).
Our best candidate is probably a writer. But they might be a designer. Either way they will enjoy concepting on-the-spot and are just as comfortable dreaming up social ideas as broadcast and digital.
Still with us? Good. Onto the obligatory bulleted list of responsibilities:
- Develop awesome concepts for high-level, integrated initiatives
- Contribute meaningfully
- Nail the brief
- Manage multiple ongoing projects
- Work happily in B2B and B2C
- Embrace failure (success is so over-rated)
- Clients will want you to have their children
- Actively manage and mentor junior and mid-level creatives
- Kick ass in meetings
Required Skills and Experience:
- A portfolio that demonstrates exceptional creative thinking and copy in a variety of work that spans digital, broadcast, social story telling and print
- We strongly doubt you will have less than eight years of experience
- Excellent presentation and deck-writing skills; you will often be the voice for presenting concepts and selling them through to clients
- Meticulous with details, quality and grammar
This position is based in San Francisco. Relocation may be available to the right candidate (yes, you read that right—YOU CAN MOVE TO SAN FRANCISCO).
To apply for this position, please send your resume and portfolio link to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 21st, 2015
Good news, procrastinators. We’ve extended the submission deadline for our design and account intern programs to 9 a.m., Friday April 24th. Creative submissions have been rolling in, and so far we’re loving what we see. So put down that Playstation and throw your hat in the ring!
Account Intern Job Posting
Design Intern Job Posting